Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday Funday

Of course, Jeff and I stayed up chatting late last night, and Hayden decided to wake us up at 7am. 7am on a Sunday should be outlawed unless there are bloody mary's or mimosa involved. Unfortunately, I have been unable to talk any of my friends into volunteering to run to the grocery store for the mixin's...some friends.

Sunday at our house has one agenda and one agenda only, FOOTBALL. I love football days, not that I watch the games, but I love that everyone is home, I usually have something cooking in the kitchen, and the house is bustling with excitement. There is usually beer involved, and lots of yelling at the TV.

Today I am thinking Beef and Barley Soup with Vegetables. Something I have discovered along the way with creating soups with rice or barley is that you MUST cook the grains first, or your soup will taste starchy.

Beef Cross Rib Roast- slow cooked in the crock pot for about 4 hours. Shred it and add about 4 or 5 cups of beef broth and 1 cup of red wine. Chop carrots, celery, spinach, onion, garlic, and cauliflower into your soup. You can also add a can of corn or roast a couple cobs in the oven and scrape the kernels into your soup. Add your cooked barley to the soup and simmer for a few hours. You can add salt and pepper to taste.  My whole family loves this soup, I heat it up on school mornings and put it in thermos's for my kids lunch. Warm and hearty soup full of goodness. I will post a picture of it later when it is finished. I better get to the store...

No comments:

Post a Comment