Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fry this!

Sweet potatoes are amazing. I really don't like them candied at Thanksgiving, so it wasn't until a few years ago that I became a fan. Pangaea Cafe' and Pub serves grilled mixed (sweet and russet) potatoes as a side in the winter and this is how I got hooked.

Tonight we cooked burgers, and like every other American, I love French Fries with my burger. The greasier and saltier the better! But, since I am trying to eat healthier and turn my family onto a more nutritious diet, I opted for a lower calorie, better for you, twist of the fry.

I peeled and cut a garnet yam into french fries, placed them on a lightly oiled baking sheet, rolled them around so they got a nice light coating. Seasoned them with salt and pepper. I preheated the oven to 350 and baked for about 40 minutes, turning every 5-10 minutes until crispy. Mmmm.


Here are some sweet potato facts:

As an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene) and a very good source of vitamin C, sweet potatoes have healing properties as an antioxidant food. Both beta-carotene and vitamin C are very powerful antioxidants that work in the body to eliminate free radicals. Free radicals are chemicals that damage cells and cell membranes and are associated with the development of conditions like atherosclerosis, diabetic heart disease, and colon cancer. This may explain why beta-carotene and vitamin C have both been shown to be helpful for preventing these conditions.

Since these nutrients are also anti-inflammatory, they can be helpful in reducing the severity of conditions where inflammation plays a role, such as asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried this with beets too? I think it might be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't, but I will!!! Thanks for the reminder! I bet you could really do this with most veggies, squash, carrot, egg plant, turnips, etc.

    ReplyDelete